Saturday, December 04, 2010

Children's Horror

While working on my final paper for this class, one of the things I've encountered is the use of horror in children's media. The fact that my paper is on the mixture of comedy and horror should say something about exactly how horror is used in children's entertainment. Because children are more likely to become uncomfortably scared by horror movies, some lighter emotion must be mixed into any attempt to convey horror to children, and comedy does a very effective job of preventing children's horror from becoming too scary. In fact, many horror movies are rated at least PG-13 with a great deal of them rated R, only further proof that straight up horror is not for children. But that of course doesn't mean that kids have to be totally removed from this genre. I know that, although I did not watch R rated horror movies until I was a teenager, I did see shows which included elements of horror that provided enough of a scare for me that I liked them but not so much that they made me cry and curse the name of horror. I think the reason for this was the injection of comedy into horror.

Take one very popular example of children's television with horror in it: Scooby Doo. Each episode has a "monster", or at least that's what it looks like at first. These baddies are always pretty frightening, especially to little children, and include such things as ghosts, frankensteins, werewolves, mummies, etc. However, the antics of the members of Mystery, Inc., especially Shaggy and Scooby, greatly decrease the potency of the horror. When Scooby and Shaggy go searching for food and run into a monster, a chase scene is often started which includes light-hearted music and a humorous movement of the characters between doors in a hallway. So, although the show usually starts off in a spooky setting with creepy characters and the introduction of a scary "monster", the rest of the show is absolutely riddled with comedy to make children laugh at their fears. Watching a horrific monster clumsily searching a set of drawers for the hiding Scooby and Shaggy makes him seem funny and not so scary.

True, it seems more comedy is used in this "horror" children's media than even in the horror-comedy of today aimed at adults. But this seems only natural. Forcing a child to watch a horror-comedy movie like Creep-Show would probably scare them to an uncomfortable level, causing the some to even cry. I think that using something "fun" like comedy is an excellent way to allow children to be introduced to the genre of horror so that, when they grow older and more mature, the transition into true horror is made a lot easier!

3 comments:

Sadie Grothaus said...

I agree with your statement, "I think that using something "fun" like comedy is an excellent way to allow children to be introduced to the genre of horror." While we today may not find Scooby Doo to be scary, it causes quiet a thrill in my little brothers. While they are not completely scared out of their minds, I can see the slight fear and suspense in their eyes. I also think Scooby Doo did a perfect job of having scary monsters but still having comedy.

Rachel said...

I agree! Shows like Scooby Doo, Tales from the Crypt, and Are You Afraid of the Dark? definitely introduced me to the horror genre. I will never, ever forget the episode of Are You Afraid of the Dark? with the monster in the swimming pool...

Andrew Linkugel said...

I remember checking "Goosebumps" books out of the library in elementary school - and being scared out of my mind. R.L. Stine sold bazillions of these books and made a huge contribution to children's horror. Their plots included school-age kids facing aliens, ghosts, the undead, and every kind of monster imaginable. I think that the reason why these books are so frightening - especially to children - is the same audience identification involved in mature adult horror. The Goosebumps kids walked out of the door to their middle school to face the supernatural, making their stories pretty plausible. Horror films aimed at teenagers put on-screen teenagers in bad situations. Audience idetification applies across horror's different age groups.