Thursday, September 09, 2010

Cat People? Not so much.


Hello all! I am currently on vacation in sunny Georgia (yay!) after an eight hour drive (boo!) and only two hours of sleep (double boo!)! But I have come to post some thoughts on Cat People. Try not to expect too much from this post. I have a lot of thoughts on this film, but I have yet to figure out a way to lay them all out for you in an organized way. I suppose it's a good thing that this is a blog and not a final term paper, eh?

Anyways, on to the intellectual stuff!

Two thoughts I want to talk about: 1. Reasons why I am downright convinced that Irena is a cat person and 2. The number one reason why this film disappointed me.

We'll start with number 1! Irena is a cat person. There's no doubt about it. As soon as that woman winked at her when they were celebrating their engagement, I knew. It would be easy to say that she was just using the panther in the zoo to do her bidding. But she wasn't. It was her. How do I know this? Well, when she walks into Dr. Judd's office right before she (yes, she not a cat) kills him, there's nothing with her. She had no cat. It's not as if the panther would have just waited outside the door patiently until she ushered it in to kill Judd. She could not have concealed an entire panther in her coat either. She was a small woman. It would have been easy to tell if she had been lugging around 70 lbs of jungle cat beneath her coat. But there's more reasons why I know it was her. We saw the shadow of the panther get stabbed with Dr. Judd's sword cane. And then we saw Irena fall and reveal the sword stuck in her arm. If this doesn't give it away, her earlier actions do. It's plain to see at first that she is ashamed of her cat people-ness. She tells the story of the cat people with fear in her voice. But what really shows her shame is the drawing of the panther she makes at the zoo. She draws him with a sword through him. This shows that she was ashamed of who she really was and that she was trying to reconcile her problems by drawing the panther dead.

Point 2 is almost entirely unrelated to anything intellectual and more opinion that I just had to share! This movie had one epic disappointment for me. The cat people were not so much cat people as they were people who turned into cats. I had an entirely different expectations going into a film titled "Cat People." I truly thought we were going to see some creatures all Cats the Musical style. But sadly, all we saw a panther. Nothing spectacular about the creature itself, although one can't argue that the fact that this woman turns into a panther is, in fact, quite spectacular.



4 comments:

penny said...

I, myself, am rather fond of that musical.

Dani said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Dani said...

It's a good musical! And it was exactly what I was anticipating Cat People would be like so you can imagine my disappointment!

Angelle Delaune said...

I totally agree that Irena was definitely a cat person! I believe this is also what Tourneur and Lewton wanted us to come to see. For example in the pool scene after all the growling and screaming “dialogue” ceases, who is standing there flipping on the light switch is none other than Irena. Tourneur and Lewton set us up so that Irena was always present right before or after strange cat things happened.